- Block Producers (BPs) are independent and economically incentivized validating nodes that guarantee REMChain decentralization and distribution. Any account can register as a Block Producer via the system contract. There are different groups of Block Producers depending on the number of votes they receive:
- The Top 20: Active BPs are responsible for producing and continuously adding new blocks to the blockchain.
- The Top 21-25: BPs become Active to produce blocks in shifts and rotate every four hours. (There is always a maximum of 21 Active BPs at any given moment).
- Standby BPs not producing blocks at any given moment, but may become Active at some point.
- Guardians play a key role in the Protocol governance process by delegating this responsibility (via voting) to the Block Producers. Guardians earn full and liquid rewards from the start, and they do not need to operate a full node. Staking, voting and claiming rewards can be done via a light client.
- Accounts can vote for Block producers but will not get any rewards for that.